Ferento started as an Ancient city, Ferentium, which was important enough to become a bishopric around 400 AD.
In 700 AD, its diocese was suppressed and its territory annexed to the Diocese of Bomarzo.
In 1172, the neighbouring city state of Viterbo started its expansion, destroying the old city of Ferento.
In 1970, the old diocese was nominally restored as a Latin titular see.
It has had the following incumbents, of both the lowest (episcopal) and intermediate (archiepiscopal) ranks:
- Titular Archbishop José García y Goldaraz (1970.07.02 – 1970.12.11)
- Titular Bishop Biagio Vittorio Terrinoni, Capuchin Friars (O.F.M. Cap.) (1971.04.17 – 1977.04.22)
- Titular Bishop Remigio Ragonesi (1977.05.27 – 1991.07.06 see below), an Auxiliary Bishop of the Vicariate of Rome
- Titular Archbishop Remigio Ragonesi (see above 1991.07.06 – 2000.03.22), the Vicegerent for the Vicariate of Rome
- Titular Archbishop Antonio Mennini, Apostolic Nuncio to the UK (Great Britain) (2000.07.08 – …)