The foundation of the monastery, entrusted to the Benedictine order, dates back to 754. It was promoter noble Lombard Wilfrido (later San Walfredo), founder of the Pisan Della Gherardesca family. For the building was chosen the town Palazzuolo and the building was built, proabilmente, exactly over the remains of a Roman villa and a temple dedicated to the goddess Bellona. Since the end of the fifteenth century the monastery began a phase of innarestabile decline until the monks were asked to move inside the castle. The abbey was finally abandoned in 1561 and today there are only a few ruins.