The fortified structure was built around the year 1000, near an old church, but was almost entirely rebuilt in the XIV century when it was controlled by the Lords of cotton.
Towards the end of the 14th century, the Castle came under the control of Siena who sold it over the next century to the Sergardi family.
During the Renaissance, the new owners transformed the hotel castellana in a fortified farm and, in later times, some renovations were made. The latest restoration work carried out in the second half of the last century have brought the complex to its former glory.
The castello di Montepò looks like a rare example of a fortified Sienese Renaissance villa, thanks to the interventions of transformation being carried out between the 15th and 16th centuries.