Since prehistoric times there are traces of a small permanent settlement within an open along the eastern slopes of the hill cave where the castle is located. The first documentary mention of the castle in 1067, counted among the properties of the Abbey of Sestinga. From the early years of the twelfth century, the site ceased to be defined in documents stronghold to take the castle qualification.
Today the castle is in ruins but still impressive remains of the walls and a tower on the east cliff. Since 1997 it has been the subject of an interesting archaeological recovery. During the excavations, they have come to light very rich material related to the fourteenth-century period and finds that signal the presence of a permanent settlement from the Etruscan period.