In the circle of Montesiepi is, stuck in the rock, the sword of Saint Galgano.
While it may seem strange to the circle of Montesiepi it is the oldest of the great Abbey.
La Rotonda Montesiepi was then the first of the Holy Grave, who was buried north of the sword as to see through the front door, Chiusdino. Only in 1220 it began the construction of the Great Abbey downstream.The construction work lasted until 1268, when it was officially consecrated by the Bishop of Volterra Alberto Solari.Then a hundred years of great splendor until 1364 which followed a slow decline due to the practical misfortune of.
Despite some attempts to restore the convent at the end of 1789, after the Montesiepi was elevated to Pieve, the great abbey was deconsecrated and left to ruin.
The entrance to the Great Abbey of San Galgano is allowed every day from morning until sunset at the following times
– From November to March from 9.00 to 17.30– In April, May and October from 9.00 to 18.00
– In June and September from 9.00 to 19.00
– In July and August from 9.00 to 20.00